Had a slow start to the year. Friday we did more than Wednesday & Thursday combined.
Pecan Fried Chicken is selling, very, very well, I think it's a keeper.
Braised Beef Short Ribs is slower to catch on, plus we need to figure out a good way to cook it until it is falling off the bone tender, without it actually falling off the bone and dissolving in the broth. Grass fed beef tends to be a bit extra chewy. We're not selling lots of this, but those who try it have enjoyed it.
Recently got this from a friend in Portland, I don't think he's ever been to Texas, though about 80% of it matched my experiences living there.;
- THINGS I HAVE LEARNED FROM LIVING IN TEXAS
- Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.
- There are 5,000 types of snakes on earth and 4,998 live in
- There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Texas plus a couple no
- one's seen before.
- If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.
- Onced and Twiced are words.
- It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.
- People actually grow and eat okra.
- "Fixinto" is one word.
- There is no such thing as "lunch." There is only dinner and then there is
- Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're
- two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!
- Backards and forwards means "I know everything about
- DJeet? is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat?"
- You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is.
- You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.
- You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.
- You measure distance in minutes.
- You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in
the same day.
- "Fix" is a verb. Example: "I'm fixinto go to the
- All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable,
- grain, insect or animal.
- You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both
- You know what a "DAWG" is.
- You carry jumper cables in your car . . . for your OWN car.
- There are only own four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.
- The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but
- require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.
- The first day of deer season is a national holiday.
- 100 degrees Fahrenheit "a little warm."
- We have four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and
- A cool snap (below 70 degrees) is good pinto-bean weather.
- A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop . . . it's a Coke,
- regardless of brand or flavor. Example: "What kinda coke you
- Fried catfish is the other white meat.
- We don't need no stinking driver's ed . . . if our mama says we can drive,
- we can drive.
- If you understand these jokes please forward them to your friends from
- Texas(and those who just wish they were).
- EVERYONE can't be a Texan; it takes talent.
- You might say it's an art form
- or a gift from God!
Distinctly in error is the comment about Festivals, especially in Austin with the music festivals (ACL, SXSW) and other fun ones like Pooh's Birthday Party or Spamarama.